CRANCHI shipyard was originally set up on the banks of Lake Como in Italy by its founder, Giovanni Cranchi. Originally, the company made boats on commission for fishermen and for the transport of goods and passenger
From 1930 to 1960, Giovanni Cranchi, grandson of the founder, Giovanni, bought a former industrial factory in Brienno. He decides to transform it into a boatyard and starts to build his first vessels. He had a true passion for quality and a job well done, with cleverly designed lines, great care dedicated to the selection of the materials, meticulous operating techniques and impeccable finishings all contributing to make his boats truly special.
After world war two, Giovanni, back to Italy, took back the production, with the assistance of his son Aldo who starts the transformation of the traditional craft production into a more modern, industrial reality. Thanks to him, the concept of design as we know it today began to emerge.
In 1970, exactly a century after the yard was opened, it had become essential to expand, to give a new impulse to production. Aldo Cranchi identified the nearby Valtellina as the ideal place to base his new operations. Aldo Cranchi, who represents the 4th generation, set up the company in Piantedo in 1970 with Tullio Monzino, and from that time onwards the management structure has remained unchanged.
- 1866: Giovanni CRANCHI opens his first workshop in San Giovanni di Bellagio, on the shores of Lake Como (Lombardy, North Italy).
- 1870: Is the year when the firm, still strictly a handcraft business, is registered.
- 1932: one of the founder's grandsons, also called Giovanni, purchases a building in Brienno (Como) and transforms it into a shipyard (the one shown on the cover of this booklet).
- 1952: Giovanni CRANCHI, with his children (who give new life to the business), devotes himself to the mass production of wooden boats.
- 1970: Aldo CRANCHI, representing the 4th generation, begins the production of fiberglass boats. The company is established in Piantedo (Sondrio), with Tullio Monzino. The management has remained unchanged since then.
- 1972: the Pilotina 4.85 (which will later become 5.80m) is created, and is immediately a success: in just under 6 years, more than 1,550 of them are produced.
- 1973: with the production of the model »SCOUT«, the company makes a foray into the world of sailing boats. In around 5 years, more than 500 will be produced.
- 1974: more than 1,000 boats produced, it is the era of the »RALLY 20«, a gritty open that makes a staggering contribution to the spread of the nautical passion. Following close behind, Hobby 20, Derby 700, Clipper 760, Start 21 and Cruiser 32. In the meantime, thanks to a continuous development process, the boatyard in Piantedo arrives at the end of the 1980s with a covered area of around 20,000sq.m. The expansion continues uninterrupted: today the covered area is 33,000sq.m.
- 1997: the CRANCHI MARINE TEST CENTRE Italo Monzino is established in San Giorgio di Nogaro (Udine) over a covered area of around 2,900sq.m. - our "private sea" for the water tests of the prototypes and the presentation of new models.
- 2000: San Giorgio di Nogaro (Udine) is again the birthplace of the new, futuristic factory, covering an area of roughly 22,900sq.m.
- 2003: the third plant is opened in Colico (Lecco), destined for the "Pre-assembly of subgroups for assembly lines" - an efficient and modern production pole.
- 2005: the project for the creation of "Seventy Plant 4" gets under way. On an overall area of 100,000sq.m. (including around 25,000 covered) in Rogolo (Sondrio), the factory that will produce boats of more than 50 feet will be built. Innovative, highly technological, strongly industrialised, it will become a new milestone in the nautical field.
- 2006: the year of transformation: previously an s.r.l. (limited liability company), CRANCHI becomes an S.p.A. (joint-stock company). A new era is opening under the guidance of the 5th generation, represented by Alessandra, Paola, Elena and Guido Cranchi, together with Franco Monzino.